Monday 25 July 2011

Moonlight Review


Title: Moonlight (Dark Guardian #1)
Publication Date: March 3, 2009
Published By: Harper Teen
Format: Paperback, 263 pages

*I borrowed this book from the library

Summary
KAYLA is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying-and thrilling-gene that will change her life forever. 
LUCAS is dangerous, gorgeous ... and a werewolf. As leader of the Dark Guardians, shape-shifters who gather deep within the state park, he has sworn to protect his pack. But when Lucas finds his true soul mate, his love could put them all in harm's way. 
As Lucas and Kayla struggle with their feelings for each other, a greater danger lurks: Humans have discovered the Dark Guardians and are planning their destruction. Kayla must choose between the life she knows and the love she feels certain is her destiny

My Thoughts
 I was pleasantly surprised by this book, i picked it up at the library out of curiosity and lack of other choices, and I  really enjoyed it. It was a quick, light read.
 The book takes place in a national park which already sets it apart from the abundance of boarding schools and small towns. The pace of the book wasn't heart pounding but it was steady and kept me interested. The best part was the plot towards the end, I had a feeling something was off but it totally surprised me. The wolf lore was interesting and had some new perspectives I've yet to encounter which is always good, when you read as much paranormal as I do it's always nice to see a new twist.
  The story revolves around Kayla who I instantly liked, she is a girl who has her feet firmly planted in the ground and takes the crap life has thrown at her pretty elegantly. Lucas was a bit typical of the brooding YA boy, but still likeable.  Lucas and the supporting characters didn't get as much development as I would have liked but it seems the author will get more in depth with them in the next installments.
 My only blatant complaint was the ending, it was a bit too clean cut for me. When everything comes together that well I have a hard time not thinking "suuuuure" (in a totally sarcastic tone), but there are more books so obviously something goes wrong, right?





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)