Friday 6 January 2012

Illusions Review


Title: Illusions (Wings #3)
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Publication date: May 3, 2011
Published By: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover, 375 pages 

*I purchased this book*


Summary
Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice. 

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.

My Thoughts
Wings was all right, Spells fell completely flat and then Illusions just took me by surprise, I was really enjoying it, and I didn't expect this at all. 
First, the pacing was much better, I got bored so many times with the other two books it was hard to keep myself reading, but Illusions stayed interesting even through the parts without much action. The characters are better developed, especially Laurel. She's shown more personal growth, even though she still can't seem to pull it together when it comes to Tamani and David. Now that she knows who she is, where she came from, and made her decision to live in the human world she isn't doing so much moping and griping, this was one of the major turn-off's for me in the other books. The new character Yuki, spiced it up too. Though quiet and withdrawn her presence and role kick up the suspense and keep you guessing.
The ending was awful. I don't usually hate on cliff hangers but this one just made the book seem pointless. The whole of the book revolves around Laurel and her friends trying to discover what Yuki is and why she's in Crescent City, and whether or not her and Klea are a danger to them. As soon as the suspense is at it's peak and their is about to be a huge reveal.....the book ends. Nothing was resolved in this book, NOTHING. It's all just a big lead up to the next book, which yes, that is what a series is about, continuation. But, shouldn't something happen, not a crap load of questions without a single answer! The end made me feel like the whole book could have been cut down in length so more eventful things could have been added. Obviously I was miffed, so 4 out of 5.



Illusions (Wings, #3)


2 comments:

  1. I really like this series. I am looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the three books of this series so far and I think exactly like you.
    The first one was a little boring for me, even more after all the great reviews I read about it.
    The second one was not very thrilling.
    And the third one win me over. I mean, I was never bored and I really wanted to know what will come next.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)