Saturday 18 June 2011

The Devouring Review


Title: The Devouring (The Devouring #1)
Author: Simon Holt
Publication Date: June 1, 2009
Published By: Little Brown
Format: Paperback, 256 pages

Summary
When Reggie finds an old journal and reads about the Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, she assumes they are just the musings of some lunatic author. But soon, they become a terrifying reality when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims.
Risking her life and her sanity, Reggie enters a living nightmare to save the people she loves. Can she devour own her fears before they devour her?

My Thoughts
This was started and finished in less than a day. This story just sucked me into it's nightmare and wouldn't let me go. I don't read much horror and now I'm not sure why, it's fun to freak yourself out sometimes.
The world building was awesome and the characters were too. The "fearscape" in the story is the place where you live in your own nightmares and fears and the descriptions were vivid and creepy to say the least. A particular line from the books that had me wincing was "Reggie's gauzed hand ached like sensitive teeth slathered in ice cream." *shudders*  A macabre carnival was one of the settings and it's like every kids worst fears, hatchet wielding clowns, maggots in your candy apple.
  Reggie's bravery and love for her little brother really warmed me to her.  Her best friend Aaron is eccentric and sweet. There are so many quotes and scenes I want to share but I won't, I'll leave you to discover them on your own. The Devouring was creeptastic, and a totally fun thrill ride so if you're into that kind of thing definitely check it out. So glad I bought the next installment Soulstice, I will be starting that promptly tomorrow. 4 out of 5!



*This book was purchased by me.


7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love trying to freak myself out, even if it doesn't usually work. It's still fun to try, though. This one's premise interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an awesome series. I'm glad you liked it, it's not very well known. I've read this and Soulstice, and adored them both. My library is ordering Fearscape for me, but they have no idea when it will be available. The anticipation is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bekka I love it I just started Soulstice and I know I'll be picking up Fearscape as soon as it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my kind of book! Nice review, will definitely check out this book!!

    http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!! I seriously JUST bought this book and number 2 last week! I'm so glad you liked it! WIN for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. So me and this book didn't do so well with each other. I'm a complete wimp and this book scared the snot out of me. That scene when her brother is talking to her through the air vent gives me the shivers even now. I really liked it but I'm terrified. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this book. I've seen it at the bookstore, but I hesitated to buy it. I guess I will have to check it out soon!!! Great review! Love creepy books!!!! Thank you for sharing it!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)