Tuesday 21 June 2011

Swoon Review




Title:  Swoon (Swoon #1)
 Author: Nina Malkin
Publication Date: May 18, 2010
Published By: Simon Pulse
Format: Softcover, 432 pages

*This book was purchased by me

Summary
Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him -- but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent -- and irresistible -- adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.

My Thoughts
Swoon was fantastic! It's YA for the grown-ups that love it. The story is bold, the love is refreshing and the characters are colorful and relateable.
The leading lady Dice tells her story in a way that you don't feel like your being told, you feel like you are there. It took me two days to read Swoon and I feel like I was in in Dice's story, living it for the last six months. (In a good way) From the summary the book sounds like almost every other paranormal romance YA book going. It's not. Dice and Sin have such a complex relationship, there are so many layers and emotions between them. It's not a cut and dry I love you, you love me sort of thing.
The story is also complex, there are so many characters and each has their own conflict no matter how small, that just feel so important to the story and atmosphere. So much happens in this book! I feel like anything I say is totally inadequate and can't convey the awesomeness found in these pages.
This is a MUST read, i want everyone to go read it, and I want everyone to love it as much as I did. A well deserved and enthusiastic 5 out of 5!




3 comments:

  1. Well, you've convinced me. I've been on the shel on this one. (pardon my pun) Now I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, it's awesome. Make sure you come back and tell me what you think once you finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I've been considering buying this for a while. I love the names of the characters too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)