Monday 13 June 2011

Abandon Review


Title: Abandon (Abandon #1)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publication date: April 26, 2011
Published by: Point
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages

Summary
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.
But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

My Thoughts
Abandon disappointed me. It's a re-imagining of the Hade and Persophone myth, so the potential is there and it comes close but not quite. Pierce is a bit of a scatterbrain making the narrative hard to follow sometimes. The first three quarters of the book bounce back and forth between Pierce's take on the present and her re-hashing of the past without any transition. It's a bit off-putting.
Pierce and John are both likeable characters that are almost lovable. Alex and Kayla were great but weren't in that much of the story. The last quarter of the book the plot really picks up, questions get answered and John and Pierce start to acquire more depth. With that said I am confident I will enjoy the sequel Underworld more than I did Abandon. 3 out of 5.



*This book was purchased by me.




3 comments:

  1. Great review... Not sure if I'll be picking this one up though.

    Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi! I'm not sure if we're fellow followers, but I follow you!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tears* I'm like DYING for this one!! Hmmmm... Maybe there's a reason I haven't grabbed it yet. I'll wait to see it at a used bookstore or something!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!

    I wish it had been a better book! It had SUCH potential, didn't it? Pity little miss whiner, aka Pierce, got in the way. Plus... what was with the "check yourself before you wreck yourself" every few pages - it should've just been a tattoo, not an obsession!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)