Friday 11 November 2011

After Obsession Review

Publication Date: September 13, 2011
Published By: Bloomsbury
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages

Summary
Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.

Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession.

My Thoughts
This book was a little disappointing, I like Carrie Jones, I love the cover and I've heard great things about Steven E. Wedel but the combination just didn't work for me.
Now the story itself was pretty cool, possession freaks the hell out of me so I was definitely creeped out, and the back story was original. Carrie writes from Aimee's perspective and Steven from Alan's and I liked both characters, liked not loved. There were things about them that were extraordinary but they themselves were not. Take away their abilities and you were left with two boring people. But that's not even what killed it for me, it was the alternating POV. Normally this isn't a problem , if it's well written I don't care if the POV bounces around or if it's written first or third person as long as it entertains me. In this instance it killed the excitement and disrupted my attention. At the start of the book when your getting the lay of the land and learning about the characters it's not so bothersome, when the plot picks up and the action starts it just irritates. You can't maintain a readers attention if you swap POV's in the middle of an action scene, or maybe you can, I just know it didn't happen here. I'd be all "OMG this is crazy" then bam! Now your reading from Alan's POV and the suspense and interest has to be rebuilt. Not fun. The ending was also a little anti-climactic. Anyway After Obsession gets only 2 stars from me.



2 comments:

  1. Argh! I hate when books do that! It works once an awhile but only if it carries on with the same scene from the different POV. Not when it starts the scene all over again. I've noticed this in a lot of books and it bugs the heck out of me. I'm glad I didn't buy this one. It'll be a library book for me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)