Wednesday 30 March 2011

Haven Review


Title: Haven
Publication Date: February 22, 2011
Published By: Simon Pulse
Format: Hardcover, 416 pages

*purchased by me

Summary
Violet McKenna isn’t a normal girl with normal teenage issues; she has more to contend with than most people could handle. Violet thought she was just crazy when she had a vivid vision of her dad’s murder. Her life started falling apart when her premonition came true. She’s had flashes of other events too–the problem was nobody believed her until she found a new school: Winterhaven.
At Winterhaven, Violet finally feels like she belongs. She quickly finds a close group friends and discovers that they too have psychic ‘gifts’—as do all the students at Winterhaven. But as soon as she feels settled she discovers the most intriguing and alluring boy she has ever met, and things quickly go awry. As the attraction between them grows, intense visions of the boy’s death start to haunt her. In her premonitions, the secret he is unwilling to share begins to reveal itself. And to Violet’s horror, she learns that their destinies are intertwined in a critical–and deadly–way.

My Thoughts
This book has all the elements to be great, a troubled protagonist, a hot boy with dark secrets, and a villain with the plot to destroy. Everything was there and it was a good book, slow at first but gaining steady momentum. But there was just something thats kept from loving it. I think it may be underdeveloped characters. Violet and Aidan, along with Violets friends have a good base to start from but you don't get to know any of them in depth which kept me from really caring what happened to them either way. Everything was there but i was still left.......wanting. Im giving this book 3 stars out of 5.




2 comments:

  1. I loved the writing style, but for me, I couldn't get over the betrayal when the book became more...supernatural. I wasn't expecting it. I was expecting it to be more X-Meny and less...what it became (so I won't spoil it...). That's where the book lost *me.* I wonder if it's where you were lost as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confusing, yes, exactly. I'd read another series by her b/c I like her writing style, but not sure about another in THIS series. It's just too convoluted for me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone's comments, I read them all. So keep 'em comin ;)